Why Is Our Workforce Truly Unengaged?

You may also like...

8 Responses

  1. Bob Gately says:

    Hello Tom,

    Employers do not hire for nor do they manage for engagement therefore, 80% of employees do not become engaged; the other 20% are hired by accident. Employers keep hiring the wrong people to be their managers and then they wonder why they have so few engaged employees.

    80% of employees self-report that they are not engaged.
    80% of managers are ill suited to effectively manage people.
    The two 80 percents are closely related.

    Successful employees have all three of the following success predictors while unsuccessful employee lack one or two and usually it is Job Talent that they lack. Employers that do not hire for Job Talent have an 80% chance of hiring the wrong people to be their employees which is an employer created problem not an employee created problem.
    1. Competence
    2. Cultural Fit
    3. Job Talent 



    Employers do a… 

    A. GREAT job of hiring competent employees. 

    B. good job of hiring competent employees who fit the culture. 

    C. POOR job of hiring competent employees who fit the culture and who have a talent for the job. 


    Identifying the talent required for each job seems to be missing from talent and management discussions. If we ignore any of the three criteria, our workforce will be less successful with higher turnover than if we do not ignore any of the three criteria.
    1. Competence
    2. Cultural Fit
    3. Job Talent

    There are many factors to consider when hiring and managing talent but first we need to define talent unless “hiring talent” means “hiring employees.” Everyone wants to hire for and manage talent but if we can’t answer the five questions below with specificity, we can’t hire or manage talent effectively.
    1. How do we define talent?
    2. How do we measure talent?
    3. How do we know a candidate’s talent?
    4. How do we know what talent is required for each job?
    5. How do we match a candidate’s talent to the talent demanded by the job?

    Most managers cannot answer the five questions with specificity but the answers provide the framework for hiring successful employees and creating an engaged workforce.

    Talent is not found in resumes or interviews or background checks or college transcripts.

    Talent must be hired since it cannot be acquired or imparted after the hire.

  2. Lori McLennan says:

    Well said, Mr. Gately, employee engagement begins and ends with leadership.

  3. Ilkka Kakko says:

    Thanks for a valuable viewpoint! One reason for this is an old-fashioned and harmful attitude by managers and this is illustrated by highlighting slogans like “Get out of your comfort zone!” My perspective for that you may read from this link: https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140902055334-72500-why-get-out-of-your-comfort-zone-is-a-very-bad-advice

    • Tom McDermott says:

      Thanks for your comments and feedback Ilkkam, and my apologies for just responding. I did not see your comment for some reason. But thanks again! Tom

  4. Excellent read. I just passed this onto a buddy who was doing a little research on that. He just bought me lunch since I found it for him! Thus let me rephrase: Thanks for lunch!

    • Tom McDermott says:

      Thanks for the read and the kind words Archie! And I hope you enjoyed your lunch! 🙂 Have your friend reach out if has any questions. Best. Tom

  1. August 29, 2014

    […] “Discover what you most profoundly care about and wonder most about as a result, and then spend your life and life’s work in a passionate search for better answers. I assure you, anyone that does that, will never work another day in their life either. But the added benefit is, we’ll find better answers to the problems we face." Shouldn’t your own natural desire to learn matter?Shouldn’t your own profound and passionate curiosity matter?The question should be; what will most influence your desire to apply more of your discretionary effort?  […]

  2. August 31, 2014

    […] “Discover what you most profoundly care about and wonder most about as a result, and then spend your life and life’s work in a passionate search for better answers. I assure you, anyone that does that, will never work another day in their life either. But the added benefit is, we’ll find better answers to the problems we face." Shouldn’t your own natural desire to learn matter?Shouldn’t your own profound and passionate curiosity matter?The question should be; what will most influence your desire to apply more of your discretionary effort?  […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *